Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Indie Scene Industry 411

Want your music video seen by millions of college students across the U.S.?

Location: Online
Event Dates: Aug 20, 2013 - Sep 20, 2013
Submission Fee: FREE
Summary: At least one ReverbNation artist's video per month to be aired across college campuses.
READ MORE...


Why Smaller Artists Won't Be Joining Thom Yorke's Crusade Against Spotify - The Atlantic Wire
 

Independent artists need to know and understand how to market their music. This article raises the question about where you, the Indie Artist, stands on the issue of Spotify and other services of its type. Read it and let us know what you think. Independent artists need to balance royalties and exposure. Fund out why and let us know where do you stand? Read more...


Zoe Koz's insight: Great tutorial for any musician preparing to sell their original material. Understand what licensing means to your music.  Never sign a contract without understanding all of the facets of licensing.  Know your market and ALL of it's requirements to be in business. READ MORE...

 How Music Royalties Work

 Introduction to How Music Royalties Work

Watch MTV or open a copy of Rolling Stone or Spin and you'll be checking out some musical members of the entertainment elite. The clothes, the jewelry, the cars, the clubs, the houses... One might wonder where, exactly, all that money is coming from. How much does the artist make from CD sales?
Bars, clubs and coffee houses across the country are overflowing with fresh, talented musicians who want to join the ranks of these performers. But really, what are the chances of making it to stardom and retiring on music royalties?
Making money in the music industry is tricky. Recording contracts are notoriously complicated, and every big recording artist has a small army of legal representatives to translate and negotiate these deals. In this article, we'll look into the world of music royalties and see how money is actually made in this industry. 

Who Gets What?

The first thing we need to do is distinguish between recording-artist royalties and songwriter/publisher royalties.
In The Internet Debacle - An Alternative View, Janis Ian, a singer/songwriter, states:
If we're not songwriters, and not hugely successful commercially (as in platinum-plus), we [recording artists] don't make a dime off our recordings.
She's referring to the fact that recording artists and songwriters do not earn royalties in the same way. Recording artists earn royalties from the sale of their recordings on CDs, cassette tapes, and, in the good old days, vinyl. Recording artists don't earn royalties on public performances (when their music is played on the radio, on TV, or in bars and restaurants). This is a long-standing practice that's based on copyright law and the fact that when radio stations play the songs, more CDs and tapes are sold. Songwriters and publishers, however, do earn royalties in these instances -- as well as a small portion of the recording sales.
The only current instance in which artists earn royalties for "public performances" is when the song is played in a digital arena (like in a Webcast or on satellite radio), is non-interactive (meaning the listener doesn't pick and choose songs to hear), and the listener is a subscriber to the service. This came about with the Digital Performance Rights in Sound Recordings Act of 1995. This act gave performers of music their first performance royalties.
We'll go into more detail about the types of licenses and royalties later in this article. But first, let's look at song copyrights.
READ MORE TOMORROW!!




 SiriusXM Sued Over Alleged Underpayment of Royalties

Earlier this month, Flo & Eddie of The Turtles filed a proposed class action against the company for allegedly infringing millions of recordings that came before Feb. 15, 1972, when recordings began falling under federal copyright protection. The plaintiffs assert that SiriusXM has "reproduced, performed, distributed, or otherwise exploited" pre-1972 recordings without license.
On Monday came a new lawsuit against SiriusXM, with compensatory damages estimated between $50 million and $100 million. READ MORE...


ASCAP already takes the lion's share of the revenue they collect in the name of artists...now they want more?

“The growing use of streaming music services has been instrumental for us to reach new audiences,” says Greg Lyons, drummer for the band Eastern Conference Champions, which landed on the “Twilight: The Eclipse” soundtrack and is recording its next album. “Even though the payout is far less than what you would receive from terrestrial radio … we can parlay it into growing our fan base, getting placements in film and TV and seeing bigger crowds on the road.”

Music Crowdfunding Without A Fanbase

Last week we discussed the topic of crowdfunding without a fanbase and what they've learned from numerous campaigns and musicians who don't have huge numbers of social media followers and, in some cases, don't even have mailing lists.
They clarified that those are definitely things you want to have to build your career as a musician and to raise larger sums of money. But they also found that musicians who connect directly to the people they do know can successfully raise funds in the $1 to $5000 range and the $5 to $10000 range.
They maintain that smaller campaigns for artists funding their first album are generally more about supporting the individual rather than the particular project. The individuals that successfully achieve such goals are the ones who don't just post about their campaigns on Facebook and the like but reach out directly to individuals with whom they have direct connections, especially friends and family.
But the artists have to be willing to sit down and think through all the different groups of people they know and be willing to contact each individual and follow up to encourage pledging. This work will be much more productive than attempting to expand one's fanbase during a campaign and to solicit funds from new fans.
Even larger campaigns ultimately rely on the people with whom artists have already established a connection to achieve their goal. READ MORE...


SINGING OFF




I was 16 when I first walked into a newsroom. It was WCCM in Lawrence, Massachusetts (city motto:  Arson Capital of the Nation!). I was a high-school senior in the town next door. My school had an internship program where I could get out of the hellish school day on a half-day and intern in what would allegedly be my chosen career. I wanted to be a writer, but the local paper didn’t take high school interns.  
WCCM was happy for the free labor, and I was treated as a very dumb member of the staff. I was amazed and overwhelmed when I walked in. It was 1990. WCCM had reel-to-reels, round pots on the analog studio boards, and used carts, all of which were recording devices used in the Before Time. (Carts were great because you could throw them at the wall and they would rarely break.) The newsroom was filled with smoke, with stand-up Mad-Men-esque gold ashtrays everywhere. There were months’ worth of newspapers piled in every corner. The AP and UPI wires were constantly spewing out reams of paper from their dot matrix printers, with the wires setting off alarm bells for “urgents”, which I learned to ignore because an urgent could be for something as silly as a college sports score (sports editors!) or a bulletin, which you never ignore.
We had typewriters. Typewriters! The old brown typewriters? That’s what we had. Three versions of every story had be written, to rotate among the newscasts. What aired at 5am didn’t air again until 90 minutes later. I interviewed Congressmen, Senators, City Councilors, the Mayor, community activists, criminal lawyers and DAs– you name it. Often I was an idiot and forgot to hit both “play” and “record” on that damn reel-to-reel.  ”Do it again,” the news director said.  ”I don’t give a shit.” I would record the carts wrong, not test my sound, and hand in blank carts for broadcast. The news director, who was also the PM drive anchor, would come out of the studio and throw them at me, barely missing my head.
George admitted 20 years later, when we found each other on Facebook, that he forgot I was only a teenager, and that he was a 28-year-old asshole. He was appalled to find out I often cried in the ladies’ room. He visits NYC frequently and I am still scared to meet with him. I will be 40 in October.
George taught me, though. I brought him a story I was working on for my school paper. I had heard the new gym in my school was built wrong; that it was two small and regulation games could not be played there. I have always been a master eavesdropper. So I interviewed the Athletic Director. This was the wrong person to interview. I asked the principal, who was not my pal in this story. I called the superintendent’s office. I brought my notes to George, who, in a rare Prozac moment, sat down and flipped through my little notebook. “You have no idea what you’re sitting on, do you?” he asked.
It turns out what I was sitting upon was a story involving the city council president throwing the inside bid to a family member who owned a construction company and said construction company then upping his lowest bid due to cost “overruns” then, indeed, building the gym wrong not only with non-regulation specifications but with unsafe bleachers. It lead to resignation of the city council president and criminal charges.
It was one of the region’s biggest stories of the year. George gave me a gift certificate to a local restaurant. The day the Gulf War broke out, I walked into the newsroom, entranced. George told me:  ”You’re in charge of local news.” I went to the bathroom, threw up, and went to work. George gave me my first Malboro.
I got my first broadcast paycheck at WCCM.  I was paid 25 bucks for guarding an open payphone line at Lawrence City Hall on election night so we could get the results from the City Clerk on the air as fast as possible. I was not to give in to the begging of reporters from WBZ, WRKO, The Lawrence Eagle-Tribune, The Boston Globe, or The Boston Herald. This was difficult for a teenager with an undiagnosed anxiety disorder. “C’mon, honey,” the men said, and they were all men. “Just for a second. A minute.” “No!  No!”
The thrill of news was addicting, but so were the radio shenanigans. The morning talk show man — who just marked 60 years on the air at WCCM — never seemed to have a bad day, despite getting up at 3 am every day for decades! Tie perpetually loosened, sleeves rolled up, cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth, a mug of coffee in his hand. “Have some fresh, hot coffee,” he said, and still says, to everyone he passes.
The other man and woman in the newsroom took to making out in the cubicles while I silently sat a fragile wall away, asking myself:  What is the etiquette here? Do I leave the room? That will make noise. Then the phone will ring. Then they’ll know I left. Do I just pretend I know nothing? Do I tap my pen so they realize they are corrupting the morals of a minor? 
They’ve been married for about 20 years now. A reporter friend of mine, still in the business, describes radio as being a real-life Island of Misfit Toys. “We understand each other,” he says. I loved news radio, and I’m sad to leave it, even though I’m happy to have a stable job with a future.
My generation was probably the last to gather round the on speakers on snowy mornings, cheering like mad when our school was declared cancelled. We listened on election nights, to hear who was in or out in our town, too small for the big city media to care about. We listened to local talk shows during the day, to debate why our tax dollars were being used for this, instead of that. We listened on our commutes, to see if we should take I-93 or Route 128 to get to where we were going. It was a community.
Then Radio got greedy. It lobbied the government to get rid of the ownership rules, so a handful of companies could control all the stations in America. Then those companies tried to squeeze more profits out of stations, replacing local talk shows with syndicated shows like Rush Limbaugh. That made money. So then the companies pruned the newsrooms, arranging for two or three anchors to handle the news on multiple stations. Detroit’s local news is handled out of New York now. Did you know that? There was no budget for street reporting. As for music — well, that could be cheapened down, too. DJs were canned, and replaced with automation systems. What played on the classic rock station in Chicago was played on the classic rocker in New York.
It all sounds the same. And it sounds cheap with the same voices up and down the dial. The same subtle clicks as the computer shifts from canned music to canned announcements to commercials. No wonder the listeners stopped tuning in. Why bother, when nothing interesting, innovative, or exciting is going on? An iPod can give you music without the commercial overload.  Don’t get me wrong. I like the new job. I like the people; I’m still dealing with information and media; it’s like moving to another house in the same neighborhood. But I need heath insurance and steady hours and sick days and vacation. I feel like I’m divorcing my first love.  The week I started at the state job, the Boston Marathon bombing happened. And I should have been on the air. But I wasn’t. I can’t be. What I loved doesn’t exist anymore.

Story Published by crasstalk.com
Author: Karyn

I'm an alleged journalist who wishes to cross to the dark side of PR. I have a fabulous cottontail. I love redheads. And I have a vast and unrivaled collection of monkeys.

Photo credit:  Wikipedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment